Most people think of public speaking as having to give a speech. I have a different and much broader definition:
Public speaking is any time you talk to someone other than yourself.
Think about it!
- Would you rather have a root canal than go to a networking event?
- Do your hands shake or your voice get wobbly when you have to make a sales presentation?
- Instead of asking for a raise or a promotion you know you had earned, did you wait for it to be granted; and then watch it go to someone else less deserving than you who had the guts to ask for it?
- Have you ever taken the lead on a project, only to see someone else claim the credit; and you were unable to speak up and set the record straight?
- Are you one of those people who absolutely has to do all three thousand four hundred and sixty two items on your to-do list before you could possibly pick up the phone and call someone?
If you said yes to any of the above you are expressing a fear of public speaking.
I invite you to ask yourself this question: What is my biggest challenge or fear when it comes to speaking to other people?
Until you get clear on the answer to that question and figure out how to deal with it, you will continue to struggle with that particular aspect of creating the results you want, not only in your business but in your personal life as well.
For me the answer to that question was item number 5 on the list, picking up the phone and calling people. That fear was keeping both me and my results small.
Not only was I continually disappointed in myself for failing to follow through on what I knew I should be doing, but it also meant that I was failing to serve people who needed my help.
It wasn’t until I learned a better system from an expert in this area, that I became more comfortable picking up the phone, whether for making an initial phone call, following up with a prospective client, or connecting with one of my current or past clients.
If you are serious about learning how to interact with people with more self-assurance, and if this makes sense to you; I can offer you a free one hour Strategy Session where I give you very specific tips on how you can communicate with more poise and confidence when faced with opportunities to speak up in various situations.
To find out more about this stellar opportunity, simply go to http://meetwithmarjorie.com/